What to Consider When Choosing a Rhode Island Divorce Attorney
Most people considering divorce have never talked to a divorce lawyer before. They don't know what questions to ask or how to assess whether a particular lawyer will work well with them. How do you find a good divorce attorney when you need one? And what makes a "good" divorce attorney good?
If you are in the early stages of looking for an attorney to handle your Rhode Island divorce case, here are some tips to help you get started.
- It is actually valuable to work with a lawyer who has experience handling cases similar to yours, ideally 50 to 100 times. They will have a good understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of your case and will be better prepared to make a strong case for you. The more complex your divorce, the more experience will matter:
- Do you have significant or unusual assets? Ask how the attorney helps clients arrive at a proper valuation of assets.
- Are there any jurisdiction issues? Will a child be relocating ? Ask how many child relocation cases the lawyer has handled.
- It's very helpful to work with a divorce lawyer who regularly works in the court where you will be getting a divorce. Your lawyer will know the judges and the judges' preferences, which will allow him or her to better prepare your case.
- Ask to meet in person. When you talk with the lawyer, do you feel you can trust him or her? You will be working together as a team to resolve the most important issues of your current and future life. You need to have absolute confidence in your lawyer's judgment and ability.
- Is the office staff friendly and supportive? You will have a lot of contact with the attorney's support staff. Are they knowledgeable, helpful and friendly?
- Customer service is the number one complaint about lawyers. The attorney doesn't return phone calls or the attorney doesn't keep them informed about what's happening with their case. Ask friends and read online reviews about the lawyer and his/her office. If you see complaints like this, keep looking.
Good legal representation is not about courtroom theatrics, it's about knowing the law, doing the work, paying attention to the details and being thoroughly prepared for court. That's what Cranston divorce attorney Steven A. Robinson delivers. He's been handling divorce and family law cases for 25 years, following in his father's footsteps.
For experienced divorce representation in Cranston, Rhode Island
Find the right lawyer for you. Call Robinson & Robinson, Attorneys at Law at 401.785.3400 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation.